I am taking this course because I am a Language and Literacy minor and this class is one of the requirements to graduate. I am also taking this course because I think writing and learning diverse literature is extremely important for students to learn and understand. Representation of all cultures is vital to developing a culturally aware and diverse community of accepting individuals. Based off the first day of class, I expect to learn a lot about myself. I expect to be be pushed out of my comfort zone. I expect this process to be similar to peeling an onion: only by peeling back the many layers will I be able to discover the true beauty of it.
I would like to explore, experiment with, and work at these five specific techniques:
- Evoke strong emotion
- Pull the reader in using personal anecdotes
- Find my own voice through my writing
- Descriptive language
- Write with a purpose/passion
Some identities that I associate with are:
- I am Jewish, so I might use a Star of David.
- I am a woman, so I might use the female gender sign.
- I have ADHD, so I might use a brain with scribbles in it.
- I am well educated, so I might use a graduation cap or a stack of books.
- I am a student, so I might use a person in a classroom or reading a book.
- I am compassionate, so I might use a big heart.