“The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you will learn, the more places you’ll go”
- Make a list of twelve countries that I have never heard about
- Research the countries to learn more about the culture and people
- Find books that are centered around humanization from those twelve countries
- Read the twelve books, one a month
- Reflect and address on issues of race, gender, sexual orientation and look at who the people are when the stereotypes and prejudices are wiped away
This semester has provided me with many opportunities to grow as an individual. Specifically, this class has pushed me out of my comfort zone and encouraged me to discover things about myself and others that I had not known. My 21st birthday is this Saturday, May 20th. Since I am about to be the legal drinking age, I think it is more than appropriate to expand my literary pallet as well. I might even import a glass of wine or a can of beer from every country I read, who knows?
My goal is to read one novel a month for twelve months that humanizes individuals from twelve countries I have never heard of. I want to learn more about individuals in other countries and be open to their experiences. My goal is to recognized my preconceived biases and check my own privilege. I am an onion, I have layers and walls that people need to peel to see the real me. Hopefully I can peel those layers of the authors from the twelve unknown (to me) countries by reading between the lines. I want to go places.